Monday, October 02, 2006

Jesus will NOT save me

My friend M. and I have countless discussions about Jesus, God, and Christianity. He thinks that one of his purposes in life is to convert me to Christianity and for me to believe in God/Jesus. I do enjoy our discussions and might even miss them when he will finally realize that I cannot be saved and, according to him, if I am not saved, then I will go straight to Hell.

When I tell him that I don't believe in heaven and hell, he has a questioned look and asks: 'Then what will happen to you when you die?' I reply with the fact that energy can neither be created not destroyed. Since we are made of energy, when I will die, my energy will be transferred into the earth. I can even go as far as saying that my consciousness will be transferred to the universal consciousness.

He cannot understand why I don't believe in Jesus being my savior, considering that I live by many Christian beliefs. These beliefs are don't lie, or cheat, be open with people, don't kill, respect people, live an honest life, and in general be a good person. These beliefs are not Christian - they are human. The only thing that I am missing is the belief in God/Jesus.

My friend is amazed with the fact that I practice more Christian beliefs than the actual Christians do, who also supposedly believe in God. I ask my friend: 'Isn't it a good thing that I live by these 'human' beliefs?' He says: 'Yes. But you're so close in living a complete life in which you also believe in God - you're so close, so why not go all the way?' Living as a good person is different than believing in something that I don't know whether it exists or not.

Another set of discussions that we have is when he tells me of fables that he reads in a book [that he likes to call the bible]. He honestly believes that everything in this book actually happened, no matter how supernatural it sounds. This is usually followed by my famous example of my fable called Moby Dick. The fables that he reads are just as likely to have happened as my Moby Dick fable.

His argument is always: 'So many people believe it, so it must be true.' I reply with 'People will believe anything if you give them enough time.' I try not to give him hard time about his fables, I simply refuse to believe them as facts.

I do wonder if he will ever give up trying to save me and either move on to someone else to save, or perhaps we can discuss other issues in life.

No comments: